Followers

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Boring People

My brother once said "only boring people get bored". He has a point there.

Let's examine why a person gets bored in the first place. I'm sure it happens to all of us at one point or another.

We get bored when we have time on our hands and we don't know what to do with it. Like if I were to have an hour before I have to go to class, but I've already planned out my lessons for the day, and even for tomorrow, and I've already marked all my books and got my school paperwork in order. I have nothing else to do for that hour before I go into class, thus I'm bored.

We get bored when we're fed up with doing a certain thing and we'd rather be doing something else. Like when I'm marking my students' activity books and halfway through them I get tired of seeing the answers to the same questions over and over again, I'd rather be doing something else, but I don't know what, thus I'm bored.

Those are two situations in which one could be considered bored, but both of them stem from us wishing that we were doing something else. The first one was us wishing that we were not doing nothing, and the second one was us wishing we were not doing what we were doing at that moment in time.

What does one do when faced with these situations? Does one exhale and say "I'm bored!" in a complaining tone of voice? Or does one actually do something about it?

If we're part of the former, then we're in all actuality boring people. Because non-boring people wouldn't allow themselves to get bored. They'd detect that feeling that they'd rather be doing something else, and because they realise that they are in control of their own bodies, they get up and go do something else that excites them more, gains more of their attention, is more enjoyable and meaningful to themselves.

Boring people don't seem to be aware of this fact. Boring people think that something has to happen to them to suck them out of the vortex of boredom they've found themselves in. Boring people don't seem to realise that being boted is a choice. You choose to remain bored, and that has made all the difference.

Stop being a boring person, Anwar.

1 comment:

jacob said...

I was very encouraged to find this site. I wanted to thank you for this special read. I definitely savored every little bit of it and I have bookmarked you to check out new stuff you post.
Solar System distributer in Bhubaneswar